[unisog] Google Desktop (v4)

Josh Fiske jfiske at clarkson.edu
Fri Feb 10 20:44:37 GMT 2006

Michael,

We have not found a good way to ban this on a large scale, but I would be
very interested to see the results of your testing.  If you're able to
come up with a specific listing of IP addresses that the google desktop
uses to upload files to, would you be willing to share it with us?

Thanks,

-- Josh
- - - - -
Joshua Fiske, Network and Security Engineer
Clarkson University, Office of Information Technology
(315) 268-6722 -- Fax: (315) 268-6570
jfiske at clarkson.edu

CONFIDENTIALITY:  This e-mail (including any attachments) may contain
disclosure or use is prohibited.  If you received this e-mail in error,

Michael Holstein <michael.holstein at csuohio.edu>
Sent by: unisog-bounces at lists.sans.org
02/10/2006 02:09 PM
Please respond to
UNIversity Security Operations Group <unisog at lists.sans.org>

UNIversity Security Operations Group <unisog at lists.sans.org>
cc

Subject
[unisog] Google Desktop (v4)

By now, I'm sure we've all had a restless night over the latest Google
Desktop. Particularly the "access my documents from anywhere" feature
(meaning copies are stored on Google's servers and indexed there).

EFF article : http://www.eff.org/news/archives/2006_02.php#004400

Clearly, this has *huge* implications for HIPAA and FERPA.

Since I haven't seen any writeups on the latest version of this, I'm
actively "infecting" computers with it to see if I can come up with an
effective block strategy.

Before I re-invent the wheel on this one, has anyone else (that's not
using a proxy) come up with a good way to ban this network-wide?

I was hoping that resolving *desktop.google.com to localhost would work
.. but I don't hold a lot of hope.

Regards,

Michael Holstein CISSP GCIA
Cleveland State University