[unisog] Google Desktop (cNET inquiry)

Gary Flynn flynngn at jmu.edu
Mon Feb 13 22:34:43 GMT 2006

Michael Holstein wrote:

>I got an email from a cNet reporter about the Google Desktop mess .. she
>wants to know if there's anyone else blocking it (by policy, technology,
>or both) for inclusion in the article.
>
>Interested parties, email off-list and I'll pass her contact info along.

I'll play devil's advocate for a minute and say that this
doesn't seem to be too different than GoToMyPC.
Does anyone monitor or block them?

Do you ban P2P on faculty/staff desktops? Monitor for
proper configuration so they're not sharing sensitive
information?

What about third party email servers? Is everyone forced
to use your organization's email server rather than possibly
send, store, or forward confidential information through
HotMail?

IM?

Do you allow people to expose Windows Remote Desktop
to the Internet?

Would I run it? Not on your life. But I wouldn't run a
lot of other commonly installed programs either. :)

Gary Flynn
Security Engineer
James Madison University