[unisog] Google Desktop (cNET inquiry)

Stejerean, Cosmin cosmin at cti.depaul.edu
Mon Feb 13 23:52:35 GMT 2006

I see the dangers of using Google Desktop to upload confidential files
to a third party server but I would have to argue that for a lot of
faculty members it would make sense to be able to search their research
papers and other personal files from multiple computers (including their
home machine) and Google Desktop seems to allow them to do just that.

I have a lot of files on my machine that I would not mind keeping on
some third party server, mainly a lot of security tools, whitepapers and
research publications that I do not really care if the government wants
to subpoena Google for. As long as Google desktop is configured to only
index certain folders I do not see a problem with this.

Sensitive information (student information and other restricted files)
could be accidentally indexed through misconfiguration and it is
probably easier to block the whole application than take any risks.

Cosmin