[unisog] Campus Wireless deployment models - 3 questions - feedback appreciated

Doug Nelson nelson at msu.edu
Tue Feb 14 16:37:52 GMT 2006

On Fri, Feb 10, 2006 at 08:43:02AM -0500, Eric Weakland wrote:

> 1.  Do you offer an "open access" wireless lan?

Yes.

> 2. If so do you required any sort of device registration and/or
> encryption?  If your answer is no, how do you deal with potential legal
> risks from things like filesharing?

We require a "click-through" agreement to abide by University policies
and relevant laws, prior to obtaining access.  If we were to receive a
legal complaint, e.g. for DMCA, we could do the necessary takedown by
doing MAC and/or IP address filtering.

> 3. Do you offer varying levels of service on your wireless lan?  For
> example - an "open access" wireless lan that offers only web browsing to
> non university resources, and a registration/WPA required wlan for student
> access etc?

There are two basic levels.  Open access is limited to selected services,
including basic web, e-mail access (POP/IMAP + authenticated SMTP), and
some VPN services.  Authenticated access is granted by logging in with
any valid userid, and the services are not limited.

Doug Nelson, Network Manager		 |  nelson at msu.edu
Academic Computing and Network Services	 |  Ph: (517) 353-2980
Michigan State University		 |  http://www.msu.edu/~nelson/