[unisog] Google Desktop (cNET inquiry)

FS bastiji at gmail.com
Tue Feb 14 16:58:25 GMT 2006

Michael -- Though I'm not in an university setting, but do
monitor/learn from this list.

We're blocking GD on multiple levels. First, policy. A new dictum was
issued and passed on to the users forbidding installing GD on their
machines. We haven't gotten the sign-offs from users yet, but that's
in the works. Secondly, hashes of the executables are being blocked
through software restriction policies in AD (Windows shop almost
exclusively). We've also added a daily scan of machines to see any
traces of GD being installed.

Vigilance on our part and policy/education, are the keys, IMHO for this problem.

Thanks,
Faisal S.

On 2/13/06, Michael Holstein <michael.holstein at csuohio.edu> wrote:
> I got an email from a cNet reporter about the Google Desktop mess .. she
> wants to know if there's anyone else blocking it (by policy, technology,
> or both) for inclusion in the article.
>
> Interested parties, email off-list and I'll pass her contact info along.

[...]