[unisog] Google Desktop (cNET inquiry)

Gary Flynn flynngn at jmu.edu
Wed Feb 15 00:46:12 GMT 2006

gentuxx wrote:

>I think this answer is incomplete.  User education/awareness is
>important, but is easily disregarded.  If use of the software is
>prohibited by your organization's policies, there should be a
>technical solution to enforce those policies.  End user awareness is
>just one part of defense-in-depth.

I would tend to agree. But I believe the technical solution
to enforce a policy about software installations should
involve the actual installation process, not some Rube
Goldberg after the fact network solution.

As long as we continue to try and address defective
products and defective administration with communications
devices we're doomed to repeat the past. Sure, they're
necessary in today's world, but they shouldn't be the first
point of attack.

Address the problem at the source (if we dare :)