[unisog] Risk analysis

Valdis.Kletnieks@vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Wed Feb 15 22:43:03 GMT 2006

On Wed, 15 Feb 2006 16:29:13 EST, Micheal Cottingham said:
> this much thought. For example, are different values placed on students
> as opposed to faculty? Perhaps you split faculty and staff in to
> different categories and drill down more. Or do you lump them all together?

Neither students or faculty matter all that much.  Students shouldn't have
access to very much sensitive info other than their own in the first place,
and you presumably pay your faculty enough that they're not an insider threat,
except when pointing projectile weapons at their lower appendages.

Your *real* insider threat is the underpaid department secretary, because
they almost always have more access to data than a mere faculty member.

(Replace "secretary" with whatever the politically correct term is this year.
You know exactly who I mean - the person who can make your life 53 times more
excruciatingly painful than if you upset the Vice Provost....)