[unisog] Experiences with PlanetLab

Paquet Andre Earl andre.earl.paquet at umontreal.ca
Mon Feb 20 21:44:19 GMT 2006

Hello,

        Here at Université de Montréal, the PlanetLab machines are logically isolated (by ACLs on their local router) : they cannot reach any machine on the internal network, and almost no machine can reach them from there. Apart from the fact that they could attack their router (and any other router on their way to the Internet), they can manifest themselves only on the internet (including our DMZ). On the other hand, they are not submitted to the incoming and outgoing ACLs on our periphery router : this is part of the agreement. We had one complaint, once, that was well taken care of by the PlanetLab people and our security office.

Yours truly,

André Earl Paquet
 Director of I.T. Security
 Université de Montréal