[unisog] Risk analysis

Brad Judy judy at colorado.edu
Tue Feb 21 23:46:15 GMT 2006

I wanted to point out another flaw in this calculation for the purposes of
discourse on accurate risk assessment.  While an IT organization might not
have any controls in place specific to terrorist attack, there are probably
applicable controls in place in two different ways.

First, controls for other events, like a flood or fire, are likely
applicable because they (hopefully) consider loss of a building and/or
personnel.  We have seen loss of an entire building several times in higher
education and have even seen the loss of essentially an entire campus (e.g.
this past year's hurricanes and flooding in New Orleans).

Second, there are controls in place to mitigate terrorist attack from other
organizations like national and regional governments and law enforcement
agencies.  Depending on the campus, there may even be local controls in
place: our campus police are State of Colorado police officers and are
trained for a wide variety of situations.  Not all controls must exist
within your organization.

These considerations, along with comments regarding more appropriate
likelihood calculations, should lead to a more accurate determination of
risk.

Brad Judy

University of Colorado at Boulder