[unisog] Email forwarding

Daniel Feenberg feenberg at nber.org
Thu Feb 23 21:37:01 GMT 2006

On Thu, 23 Feb 2006, Karl_Oder at rush.edu wrote:

> We are working on a policy for forwarding email after someone has left the
> institution. I would like to hear what other University's policies are in
> regards to forwarding Professors' and employees' email after they have
> left the institution.

I expect you will be reluctant to leave a forwarding address in place for
long. Among possible danders consider that it might be used as part of a
scheme to defraud that is made more plausible by the university address.

Another danger is that the departed employee will complain to his new mail
administrator that you are sending spam, and the mail administrator will
blame you.

An alternative which avoids those problems is to use the sendmail
"Redirect" feature to report to correspondents a new address for departed
staff during the smtp command sequence. With this feature the sending MTA
generates the DSN and there isn't any chance of generating mail to forged
addresses, as there would be with a modified "vacation" program.

That said, we normally forward mail for long periods as a convinience to
remaining users.

Daniel Feenberg