[unisog] Network Access Control

Christopher Chow c-chow at md.northwestern.edu
Fri Feb 24 01:23:33 GMT 2006

Paul --

Although I sympathize with your concerns about liability, I believe that
your analogy to the Sony Rootkit fiasco is unwarranted.

Sony got in trouble primarily because (1)installation was silent, secret
and without consent and (2)the software was poorly written

#1 in a network access control project would not be of concern because
you are giving full disclusure and presumably would have the backing of
university administration in addition to the IT division. Of course #2
could pose a problem and I understand how a required network access
solution would make it even stickier if compromises resulted from a
vulnerability in the agent.

However, the key idea is to not be alarmist either. Corporate IT
environments use packages like Tivoli, et al.  to push software all the
time. And to inspect machines for compliance in much more draconian
fashion than what we are discussing in this thread. Of course, academia
is much more liberal and i'll grant you that --- but what really needs
to be weighed here is:

does the freedom to run an unpatched/unAV'd machine supercede network
access privileges? I would imagine not -- most universities have CISSP's
  in place with IT staff to specifically turn off ports to offending
machines that spew packets. So it's a given that part of the duty is to
protect the network resources so that users can access things when they
  need them.

And i find the privacy argument rather absurd. It's rather like the
argument against "Windows Genuine Advantage" in the sense that you are
saying we don't want Big Brother looking over our shoulder. why? What do
you have to hide? It's not even that you're looking for illegal content
(like Microsoft is) but you are simply checking compliance on security
precautions. If you have something so important to hide, why would you
connect it to a semipublic network! Would you even put it on a network?
Do you get my gist? You might even use a non-resident network access
control that loads the first time a user connects for a session, scans
the machine and unloads (say an activeX control or JS that grabs the mac
address) -- akin to the the type of access control that wireless
companies use to make sure that you're paying for wireless when you're
working at an airport hotspot, etc

I'll admit that I don't know the technical details of whether such an
alternative would fit the needs of the original poster. But please don't
bring Sony into this because the situations would be worlds apart. Sony
had its own financial interests in mind -- the user agent here would be
to protect the right of *all* users to access network resources.

Just because the higher ed arena embodies more liberal