[unisog] Gmail for the University

Isac Balder piis8 at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 24 19:31:46 GMT 2006

Not a fan of outsourcing in general.

For a big university, the thought would never cross my
mind.  The assumption here is that you typically have
a full staff (okay you never have a "FULL" staff
but...) and are more than capable of controlling your
own destiny.

A small local university, If it saves money, and
stress.  And allows for the easy use of mail
encryption (pgp or other wise) for those sensitive
bits, sure.

as for the privay issue.  email is not private, it's
clear text.

As for targeted advertising, I'd rather have none, but
i'd rather have targered than generic.  I'm a gmail
user and frankly unless they changed it up
specifically for the hosted sector I haven't even
noticed the advertising in gmail.

--- "Watson, Michael" <watsonmj at wharton.upenn.edu>
wrote:

> Ok so I saw the post from Google's blog the other
> day about hosting
> email services for universities and I was curious as
> to what people had
> to say about.  Specifically I am interested in the
> factors considered
> about whether a university would host email with
> Google or not.  I'm
> also interested to see if there is anyone that is in
> the process of
> signing up with them.  I saw an article about how
> Google went to the
> University of Oregon first but they declined to
> subscribe due to privacy
> concerns that are violated by Gmail's targeted
> adverting.  Though
> privacy seems to be a valid concern, I don't know
> how it differs too
> much from current privacy rights that students have.
>  I am curious as to
> what other factors there may be out there (besides
> features).
>

> I figured I would ask a pretty diverse group of
> educational admins for
> their opinions.  Would you subscribe your school to
> an outsourced mail
> environment like Gmail?  And why or why not?
>

> Sorry for such a broad question, but my colleague
> and I differ in
> opinions so I figured I'd get some more!
>

> Mike W.

I.B.

"Say hello to all the apples on the ground"