[unisog] Gmail for the University

Eric Hoelzle eric.hoelzle at gmail.com
Mon Feb 27 16:58:07 GMT 2006

On 2/24/06, Isac Balder <piis8 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> For a big university, the thought would never cross my
> mind.  The assumption here is that you typically have
> a full staff (okay you never have a "FULL" staff
> but...) and are more than capable of controlling your
> own destiny.

Agreed.

> A small local university, If it saves money, and
> stress.  And allows for the easy use of mail
> encryption (pgp or other wise) for those sensitive
> bits, sure.

Agreed.

> as for the privay issue.  email is not private, it's
> clear text.

Not sure about this one.  Privacy and encryption are not analogous in
my view of things.

I consider (expect) email to be private (secure) once it hits a
message store.  I also expect whomever runs that message store to
prevent unauthorized access to my data...this may or may not require
encryption.

The privacy issue, for me anyway, is more about whether (and how)
Google/MS/Yahoo/etc is going to control access to my data once it
resides on their servers.

FWIW, if I wanted to get ahold of someone's data, sniffing it off a
wire would be my vector of last resort.

Just my 2 pennies.  :-)

--
Eric