[unisog] Gmail for the University

Eric Hoelzle eric.hoelzle at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 14:01:27 GMT 2006

On 2/28/06, Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu <Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu> wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 11:58:07 EST, Eric Hoelzle said:
> Now for the $64 question - do you insist on it being *private*, or does it
> suffice that it is *confidential*?  The biggest  effective difference between
> them arises if a member of the systems staff has to start digging through the
> e-mail to find and fix a problem. It sometimes requires looking at message
> headers and sometimes even bodies - I don't know of any message store that
> guarantees *privacu* at that point (we had one melt-down caused by deeply
> nested MIME bodyparts (like 100+ levels deep, gaak) choking up our A/V scanners
> - no *way* you'll debug that without looking at a few message headers and
> bodies - if the message store was encrypted, we'd have been stuck).  On the
> other hand, *confidentiality* only requires that the 4 or 5 people that have
> the access to the store know the rules about disclosure and can be trusted to
> follow them....

That's an important distinction to make.  My expectation is that it is
confidential by that definition.  Perhaps 'private' was a poor choice
of words given the audience.  :-)

Aside from folks running small personal servers, I'm not aware of
anyone who encrypts message stores either.  Although I'd assume some
gov't/military/financial institutions have such a requirement.

--
Eric

--
Eric