[unisog] registering servers

Jordan Wiens numatrix at ufl.edu
Mon Jul 24 22:47:23 GMT 2006

We've got a policy of blocking outbound port 25 and requiring mail
servers to be registered.  This has saved us a lot of headaches over the
past few years and we're looking at what other Universities have done in
regards to registering other services besides just outbound mail.

Can those who have experience with registering some or all of the
services on their campus before allowing access comment to me (either
off or on list) and I'll report with a summary of the results?

I'm specifically interested in how much work it was to implement,
whether you have stuck with the initial design, unforeseen problems,
whether the benefits outweigh the cost, etc.

--
Jordan Wiens, CISSP
UF Network Security Engineer