[unisog] registering servers

McGuffin, Tim ucs_tim at shsu.edu
Tue Jul 25 00:06:34 GMT 2006

We run a closed policy inbound firewall, and all non-IT run services
must be registered before they're allowed an open port.  The registering
department is responsible for all security patches and problems, and
must provide a 24/7 contact number for the administrator, as well as 2
backup numbers.  They must also register the type of data being held so
we know what's potentially lost in an incident.  We also try to offer
them our physically secure server room, UPS and Generator power backup
and nightly data backups to 'sway' them to let us host it.  This has
deterred most departments from wanting to host their own services, but a
few still insist.

It hasn't been much headache at all.  In fact, its been easier because
we know exactly what internet facing services we have and can disable
the port or on the firewall or physical ethernet port quickly if
necessary.

-Tim