[unisog] registering servers

Cal Frye cjf at calfrye.com
Tue Jul 25 13:31:34 GMT 2006

 Gary Flynn ventured to comment, at 7/25/06 9:08 AM:

> We went to a default deny inbound TCP access policy for the
> general population last November with almost no problems.
> People desiring to expose a server to the Internet use a web
> based form to request it. Inbound connections to student
> addresses have been blocked since 2003 and to IT staff
> and other sensitive addresses since 2004.

Sounds great, Gary,
Please help me understand the impact this policy has on VoIP calls, like
Skype and others, to students from home. I know some of these use an
external server, like AIM, so the connection is initiated from the
inside, but my understanding is some do not -- or am I misinformed?

Have there been complaints from this direction, or is this traffic
blocked by policy anyway on your campus?

--
-- Cal Frye, Network Administrator, Oberlin College
    www.ouuf.org,  www.calfrye.com,  www.pitalabs.com

"The farther you are from home, the bigger an area "home" becomes."
--Ashleigh Brilliant (c) 1981.