[unisog] Formal computer/software upgrade plan

Brian Friday bfriday at lasierra.edu
Tue Jul 25 17:37:21 GMT 2006

Hello Steve,

Your question is a little broad in scope, is there something specific
you can share regarding the WASC comment?

On Jul 24, 2006, at 1:17 PM, Vodhanel, Steve ((LLU)) wrote:
> Does anyone have an official computer hardware and software upgrade
> plan for their organization? I would be interested in what you
> have, as we are beginning to consider this due to a comment from
> our accreditation committee at WASC.

While I am not the person in charge of these operations in the past
the following has been true.
-------
Server Upgrades: Usually servers are on a 3 year plan for upgrade,
but while that has worked in the past, in some cases needs outstrip
the "plan." So we are starting to go to a yearly review cycle for
each server / service pairing.

Desktop System: Faculty staff are on a 3 year plan with early
upgrades determined based on need and recommendation of  dean/
supervisor/vp.

Labs: Upgraded on a rotating basis, one lab environment/type is
upgraded every year. This unfortunately only applies to labs which
are directly under the control of IT. We have a number of "donated
labs" whose equipment is not covered under our plan and is upgraded
directly out of donated or supplied departmental funds. For those
labs we do upgrade we try to put the best machines possible given our
budget in the lab, upon upgrading a lab the existing machines will be
added to the desktop system upgrade computer pool.

Student Worker machines: These machines generally are purchased
directly by the departments from our pool of available machines.

All machines purchased or installed throughout campus must be
approved and inventoried by the IT department. When a machine is
permanently retired from campus service it is either parted out, sold
as is to local University personnel/students, local community or
donated in mass to non profit projects.

-----

Brian Friday
Infrastructure Manager