[unisog] registering servers

Robert Kerr r.kerr at cranfield.ac.uk
Wed Jul 26 14:47:46 GMT 2006

On Tue, 2006-07-25 at 09:31 -0400, Cal Frye wrote:

> Sounds great, Gary,
> Please help me understand the impact this policy has on VoIP calls, like
> Skype and others, to students from home. I know some of these use an
> external server, like AIM, so the connection is initiated from the
> inside, but my understanding is some do not -- or am I misinformed?

As Gary said, skype will pretty much cut through anything. The only
possible impact on skype is making it less likely a node will become a
supernode, which is probably a good thing. We've had a default inbound
deny for a long time and in the past complaints have focused more on
video than voice. Video chat through MSN used to be the big one for our
international students, we found that whilst yahoo messenger could do a
video chat fine MSN wouldn't. All that has changed in the last couple of
years though, as newer versions of MSN seem to cope with being
firewalled fine.

--
 Robert Kerr