[unisog] New DISS Security Model

Bryan Zimmer bzimmer at ucsc.edu
Thu Jun 1 01:04:25 GMT 2006

Up until about two months ago I worked for the Department of Defense
agency that housed some of those systems and the domain authentication
backend. I hadn't heard about this before I left but knowing their
mentality I'm guessing the idea was "cutting off access from some IPs is
more secure than cutting off access from no IPs." They probably don't
have any .edu customers so cutting .edu out wasn't a problem. I'm
assuming they would have liked to exclude .coms as well, but a few
legitimate customers there prevented it. I'm guessing they also think
security at a .edu is a lot more open (physically and logically) than a
.com, assuming of course the .com is a legitimate business. As we all
know, that's a big assumption with a lot of .coms.

I completely agree that the idea is moronic at best (although I've seen
worse there), but at least they're slowly improving the security of
their sensitive data. Emphasis on slowly. ;)

-Bryan