[unisog] Numeric SPAM

Joseph Brennan brennan at columbia.edu
Wed Jun 7 04:05:09 GMT 2006

Chris Crowley <ccrowley at tulane.edu> wrote:

> I wonder if a spambot network is working on validating its list of
> recipients.

This is definitely being done by a bot net.  They come in alphabetical
order, but each host sends no more than 5 messages.  A controller
somewhere else is handing out a few addresses to each bot, one at a
time.  It is also being careful to send only a few per minute.

This morning I could see three alphabetical series in progress at the
same time.  Of 1,750 messages there were only 5 different numeric
subjects.

Joseph Brennan