[unisog] Pen testers after my own heart...

Dave Ellingsberg dave.ellingsberg at csu.mnscu.edu
Tue Jun 13 15:14:18 GMT 2006

usb 1-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 6
usb-storage: device found at 6
usb-storage: waiting for device to settle before scanning
  Vendor: SanDisk   Model: U3 Cruzer Micro   Rev: 2.15
SCSI device sdb: 990865 512-byte hdwr sectors (507 MB)
sdb: Write Protect is off
sdb: Mode Sense: 03 00 00 00
sdb: assuming drive cache: write through
SCSI device sdb: 990865 512-byte hdwr sectors (507 MB)
sdb: Write Protect is off
sdb: Mode Sense: 03 00 00 00
sdb: assuming drive cache: write through
 sdb: sdb1
sd 7:0:0:0: Attached scsi removable disk sdb
sd 7:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg1 type 0
  Vendor: SanDisk   Model: U3 Cruzer Micro   Rev: 2.15
  Type:   CD-ROM                             ANSI SCSI revision: 02
sr0: scsi3-mmc drive: 8x/40x writer xa/form2 cdda tray
sr 7:0:0:1: Attached scsi CD-ROM sr0
sr 7:0:0:1: Attached scsi generic sg2 type 5
usb-storage: device scan complete

see http://cse.msstate.edu/~rwm8/hackingU3/  for more info.

as you see this reports to be two devices a usb and cdrom.

foot.

On Mon, 12 Jun 2006, Jordan Wiens wrote:

| http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/storage/usbfaq.mspx
| -----
| Q: What must I do to trigger Autorun on my USB storage device?
| The Autorun capabilities are restricted to CD-ROM drives and fixed
disk

...which suggests a variation on the attack - simply burn a load of
autorun CDs and leave them around!

(cheaper than memory sticks too)

As for globally disabling USB, I think we'd have a riot on our hands.
In our University environment, education is the way to go.

unisog mailing list
unisog at lists.sans.org