[unisog] Unintended Results (was Re: large netflow values and skype?

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Thu Jun 22 17:38:03 GMT 2006

On Thu, 22 Jun 2006 13:05:10 +1000, David Herd said:

> I know that under certain conditions Skype will promote a machine to
> a supernode.
> Is this what I'm seeing?

I could tell you, but...

> This message is intended for the addressee named and may contain confidential
> information.  If you are not the intended recipient, please delete it
> and notify the sender.

As I'm not the addressee *named* (I'm just a sysadmin at a cow college, and
certainly have never been mistaken for an actual mailing list, no matter *how*
much I post every day), I don't have much choice but to delete it and notify
the sender.  Of course, at this point, it's unclear if the "sender" to be
notified is David Herd or the management of the Unisog list.....

Also, you might try *PRE* pending these, so that we can see the disclaimer
and make an informed decision before continuing reading, rather than at the
end where we then have to *un*-remember reading the mail we shouldn't have
read.  What's that? That would be too annoying?  Maybe that's a hint there's
something fundamentally flawed with the concept.... (for the legal eagles -
the issue is called "overwarning"..)

> The contents of this message do not necessarily represent the views
> or position of the
> University of New South Wales, unless stated to the contrary.

Ooohhh. You're a lucky one indeed, having climbed far enough up the org chart
that if you state something is an official view or position, it thereby becomes
one.  Whenever I try that, people just accuse me of ranting and raving again...

And as a practical matter, people who *are* authorized to make official
statements usually find themselves in the opposite situation - everything
they say tends to be regarded as official unless they go out of their
way to stick a "Off the record, I.." or "Just my opinion, but..." on it.

> the University of New South Wales does not represent or warrant that this message,
> or any attachments, are free from viruses or defects.

Paging Douglas Hofstaeder... Paging Douglas Hofstaeder.  We've found an
example of self-referential defective legalese... ;)

(Sorry for the rant - between disclaimers and overly long quoted text,
my last 20 e-mails have averaged only 13% new content... Blech.)