[unisog] lab platform query

Phil Temples ptemples at cs.bc.edu
Fri Mar 3 17:31:01 GMT 2006

In preparation for our lab equipment / three-year replacement cycle,
I've been asked by management to query sysadmins at computer science
departments at other universities to learn what hardware platforms/OSes
folks are running.  At the moment, we have a lab of approx. 30 dual-boot
(WinXP, Fedora Core 4) Pentium IV systems served by a Red Hat server
running NFS/NIS. Some faculty are asking for our current wintel systems
to be swapped out with Apple/ OS X.

Your thoughts?  I'd be happy to summarize for the list in order to
conserve bandwidth.  Thanks.

Phil

--
Phil Temples