[unisog] lab platform query

Valdis.Kletnieks@vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Fri Mar 3 18:46:15 GMT 2006

On Fri, 03 Mar 2006 12:31:01 EST, Phil Temples said:
> folks are running.  At the moment, we have a lab of approx. 30 dual-boot
> (WinXP, Fedora Core 4) Pentium IV systems served by a Red Hat server
> running NFS/NIS. Some faculty are asking for our current wintel systems
> to be swapped out with Apple/ OS X.

The first question you should ask said faculty is "Why Apple?", and the
second should be "What applications are we currently running on XP and FC,
and why, and how would we replace them on OS X?".

Much as I might hate Windows, I can hardly recommend a migration away from
it unless you've addressed the reasons you were running it in the first place....