[unisog] Remote sniffers- what do you use?

John H. Sawyer jsawyer at ufl.edu
Wed Mar 8 22:34:36 GMT 2006

Hi Sunia,

If you are interested in going the cheaper, open source route, it can be
as easy as deploying a number of Linux/BSD boxes with tcpdump on them.
You could also use Snort for a little more power. Additionally, if you
want a web interface with traffic analysis, check out ntop.
http://www.ntop.org/overview.html

Also, if you have a Cisco infrastructure, take a look at RSPAN that lets
you configure SPAN ports across multiple switches so you can deploy less
sniffing hosts.
http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/c3550/12113ea1/3550scg/swspan.htm

-jhs
--