[unisog] Systems support staff on HelpDesk rotation?

Patrick Hopp - Phopp phopp at mtu.edu
Tue Mar 14 21:28:37 GMT 2006

We were able to attend the "Time Management for System Administrators"
session this year at Usenix.  Thomas A. Limoncelli the guy who wrote the
O'Reilly book on time management for
SAs(http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/timemgmt/index.html) was the presenter.

One of the methods he talked about for *smaller shops* was developing a
shield schedule.  Where one System Administrator 'runs interference' for
the others for a specific period of time so the others can work
uninterrupted.  And the responsibility rotates between the staff.

We are a 3 person unit with between 11 and 14 student employees managing
about ~600 network devices, ~15 servers, and ~650 user accounts spread
between about 10 buildings.

--------------------------------------

Example of our Shield Schedule:

 From 8-12:30 Staff_Member_A is the GOTO staff person
 From 8-12:30 Student_A is the GOTO student
 From 12:30-5 Staff_Member_B is the GOTO staff person
 From 12:30-5 Student_B is the GOTO student

GOTO Staff_Member_A/B tries to do whatever small tasks/projects they
have on their list while they are the first person to answer the phone,
intercept people who walk in the office, field Student_A/B's questions
and make sure the student employees have something to do and are learning.

GOTO Student_A/B's job is to make sure that jobs are flowing in and out
of the Ticketing System(WebRT), answer the other student employees
questions, and work with the GOTO person to answer questions about jobs
or projects.

If the GOTO staff member is one the phone and another line rings the
GOTO student or another staff member steps in and takes the call.  If
the GOTO staff person is occupied and somebody walks thru the door the
GOTO student intercepts them and finds out what they need and either
creates a ticket or directs them to a staff member.

We've been doing this for about 4 months and it seems to be working.
The 3 SysAdmins are reporting they are able to get more work done.  Our
customers have found this a good middle ground between fully student
answered phones or staff answering phones and not getting anything
done.  We did try a completely student run help desk and our customers
found this unacceptable and we were ordered to have only staff answer
the phones.  This wasn't bad when there were 5 staff members but we're
down to three now and a compromise was reached with little to no effect
on our customer service level.  While customer service level wasn't
negatively effected *productivity has been increased* as well as the
*students being able to learn and mentor* from the GOTO staff person.

Staff members are also getting a better appreciation for what our
departments want and where are re-occurring problems are.  While there
are System Administrators who prefer to be mostly technical that is too
hard to do in a small shop like ours and I believe this helps maintain
the balance between customer service and the technical aspects of what a
System Administrator is.

For larger groups perhaps rotating the escalation person as well as the
help desk manager would be options to promote better customer service,
communication to the back end, and education/training for the front end
staff.

The next experiment we are going to do is give our departmental
liaisons(26 Departments - 26 department liaisons) access to our WebRT
ticketing system so they can enter and monitor their own tickets.  We'll
see how that goes.

Thanks,

Pat

--
** Is your office a Safe Place? http://safeplace.mtu.edu **

Patrick Hopp, Senior System Administrator
Manger, Systems Administration Services
218 Admin Building  (906) 487-3636
Michigan Tech University, Houghton
http://www.admin.mtu.edu/sas/