[unisog] Problems with EDU.COM domain

Bill Owens owens at nysernet.org
Thu Mar 23 15:41:58 GMT 2006

On Thu, Mar 23, 2006 at 08:36:20AM -0500, Jason Grove wrote:
> Hello All,
> Has any one else had problems with the edu.com domain? For example I saw
> some mail queued up to go to wvu.edu.com this morning, which normally
> just sits in the queues, but however it looks like some one has
> registered edu.com and put in wild cards

. . . a long time ago, for which see RFC 1535, and some discussion in RFC 1912.

> so any *.edu.com goes to their
> servers, mail and web....

Web, yes, but the machine at 65.36.156.42 isn't listening on port 25, at least not for me.

> If  you have seen this what have you done to
> stop your mail from going to it? (I.E. for those people who believe that
> every address has to end in a .COM...)?

If you're sure that nobody will ever want to connect to 'edu.com' for any legitimate purpose, you could make your resolvers authoritative for 'edu.com' with a mostly-empty zone.

Bill.