[unisog] Problems with EDU.COM domainy

Stephen C Woods scw at seas.ucla.edu
Thu Mar 23 16:13:12 GMT 2006

  If your visit (your) web site, you'll see that it's clearly is looking for
information (email addr, phone numbers, s-mail addr) for spammers,
tele-sales and junkmailers.
<scw>

On Thu, Mar 23, 2006 at 09:18:23AM -0600, PaulFM wrote:
> I think you are correct:
>
> $ host junk.edu.com
> junk.edu.com has address 65.36.156.42
>
> $ host edu.com
> edu.com has address 65.36.156.42
>
> $ host 65.36.156.42
> 42.156.36.65.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer pollux.dataservsecure.com.
>
> Also do a:
> whois 65.36.156.42
> whois edu.com
>

> Jason Grove wrote:
>
> > Hello All,
> > Has any one else had problems with the edu.com domain? For example I saw
> > some mail queued up to go to wvu.edu.com this morning, which normally
> > just sits in the queues, but however it looks like some one has
> > registered edu.com and put in wild cards so any *.edu.com goes to their
> > servers, mail and web.... If  you have seen this what have you done to
> > stop your mail from going to it? (I.E. for those people who believe that
> > every address has to end in a .COM...)?
> >

> > Thanks
> > Jason
> >

> > Jason Grove                     | One Waterfront Place
> > Principal Systems Administrator | PO Box 6504
> > WVU Information Systems         | Morgantown, WV 26506-6504
> > Ph: 304.293.3011 x 2115         | E-Mail: jgrove at wvu.edu
>
> --

-----
Stephen C. Woods; UCLA SEASnet; 2567 Boelter hall; LA CA 90095; (310)-825-8614
Unless otherwise noted these statements are my own, Not those of the
University of California.                      Internet mail:scw at seas.ucla.edu