[unisog] Problems with EDU.COM domain

Josh Ballard bal at ksu.edu
Thu Mar 23 21:03:40 GMT 2006

So I gave a heads up to my admissions folks and to our university
attorney's office, and later received a call back from our admissions
director asking for contact information for this company because he
had been unable to gather any.  At the bottom of the .edu.com web
pages is a link to the parent company Vantage Media Corp, to which I
whois'd that domain (vantagemedia.com) and gave the admissions
director the information listed below:

Vantage Media Corporation
1350 Abbot Kinney Blvd #203
Venice, California 90291
Phone: (310) 482-3737

After giving him this information, he said that he would make a call
to the company.  A short while later, he called me back to inform me
that he had spoken to a rep at the company and had informed them of
his displeasure at our university being listed on their site and
collecting information, and asked them to take us off.  At his
request, it appears they have done so for the time being, and fairly
quickly I might add.  So, my encouragement to all of you out there
would be to pass this word onto your admissions folks and/or general
counsel and have them make a phone call to have your university
removed.  I hope they are as quick to respond to the rest of you as
they apparently have been to us.
--
Josh Ballard
Network Security Analyst