[unisog] Problems with EDU.COM domain

GREGORY SEIBERT gregs at kent.edu
Fri Mar 24 00:54:26 GMT 2006

I see four totally different pages for  these -

http://kent.edu.com
http://yale.edu.com
http://zzz.edu.com
http://duke.edu.com

Kent gets the " We don't know you here - go away" treatment.
Yale get the "Come a little closer, fill in the blanks and let us spam you"
treatment.
ZZ Top U gets the generic ad page as our colleague from Yale mentioned.
Duke gets an entirely different treatment because apparently their lawyers
have already yelled quite loudly - even different from the treatment
that ksu.edu.com receives and we have heard how they also complained.

Hmmm...I just checked the yale example again and they now get the "Duke"
treatment.You guys must have loud-yelling lawyers also!

      Greg

Gregory A. Seibert, CISM
Director of Security and Compliance
Suite 384 Library
Kent State University
www.security.kent.edu
330-672-0383 (Voice)
330-672-9374 (FAX)

             "Haeusser,  Jens"
             <jens.haeusser at ubc.c
             a>                                                         To
             Sent by:                     UNIversity Security Operations
             unisog-bounces at lists         Group <unisog at lists.sans.org>
             .sans.org                                                  cc

                                                                   Subject
             03/23/2006 06:20 PM          Re: [unisog] Problems with
                                          EDU.COM domain

              Please respond to
             UNIversity Security
               Operations Group
             <unisog at lists.sans.o
                     rg>

I see a generic page no matter what URL I use. Perhaps the site is
presenting content based on the originating IP of the http connection (ie
Morrow sees a yale.edu.com page when looking at www.yale.edu.com since his
reverse lookup points to yale.edu), rather than just the URL.

Jens Haeusser
Chief Information Security Officer
University of British Columbia