[unisog] Problems with EDU.COM domain

H. Morrow Long morrow.long at yale.edu
Fri Mar 24 00:28:34 GMT 2006

On Mar 23, 2006, at 6:20 PM, Haeusser, Jens wrote:
> I see a generic page no matter what URL I use. Perhaps the site is
> presenting content based on the originating IP of the http
> connection (ie Morrow sees a yale.edu.com page when looking at
> www.yale.edu.com since his reverse lookup points to yale.edu),
> rather than just the URL.
>
> Jens Haeusser
> Chief Information Security Officer
> University of British Columbia

Actually it was putting up the Yale-specific page for any address
under yale.edu.com (not just www.yale.edu.com ).  I don't think
that it was due to the reverse lookup (because a reverse lookup
on our webserver's IP actually returns elsinore.cis.yale.edu ).

Jens -- I think that they just don't care about your University :-)

		...because it is under the .CA domain (they'd have to
		own .CA.COM to have a ubc.ca.com and I think that
		CA.COM is already owned by a very large computer
		 software company which wouldn't sell their domain
		name for a small price).  Just my theory.

- H. Morrow Long, CISSP, CISM, CEH
   University Information Security Officer
   Director -- Information Security Office
   Yale University, ITS

% host www.yale.edu
www.yale.edu is an alias for elsinore.cis.yale.edu.
elsinore.cis.yale.edu has address 130.132.51.8
% host 130.132.51.8
8.51.132.130.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer elsinore.cis.yale.edu.
%