[unisog] Security Incident Handling Procedure

Brian Allen ballen at wustl.edu
Fri Mar 24 17:37:41 GMT 2006

Not being allowed to shut off ports for infected machines, even if they belong to students with vocal parents, is unacceptable.  Every machine on the network needs to adhere to at least a basic network policy: Automatic patching turned on, running up-to-date antivirus, some firewall turned on, and if the user gets infected because he clicked on a bogus facebook IM link and didn't have his anti-virus up-to-date, then he will be shut off until it is cleaned, (and we'll even help him clean it).  Most of our students run windows XP and we provide a free copy of Symantec 10 so the first three requirements should be easily met.

I will compromise on a great many issues in security to improve usability for our students, but this one is not negotiable.  If they are infected and causing harm to the rest of the network then we have to remove them.

Brian Allen
Network Security Analyst
Washington University