[unisog] DNS fraud against the .edu TLD

Karyn Williams karyn at calarts.edu
Fri Mar 31 18:06:12 GMT 2006

At 06:33 PM 3/30/06 -0800, Ryan Sumida wrote:
>Isac Balder <piis8 at yahoo.com> wrote on 03/24/2006 10:52:02 AM:
>>
>> > This would not stand if mil.com or gov.com were
>> > abused in this way, it should
>> > not stand when edu.com is abused.
>> > (BTW - mil.com and gov.com were registered in 1997
>> > and 1996 respectively with
>> > contact pointers to uu.com - sounds proactive to
>> > me.)
>>
>> I have to use whitehouse.com as an example here.  It
>> may not be exactly the same as whitehouse.gov.com but
>> it?s the same principle.
>
>"whitehouse" is not a Top Level Domain.  Your example doesn't necessarily
>apply to this situation.  ICANN, with good reason, has specifically stated
>that edu shall not be reserved at the second level

Do you have a link to the comments/ruling by ICANN ?

Check out this thread. VantageMedia is not the first to own this domain.

http://www.dnso.org/clubpublic/ga-full/Arc07/msg00294.html

and

http://www.internetnews.com/ec-news/article.php/240781

Please note the dates of these articles. Seems there could be a financial
incentive.