[unisog] DMCA notices - RIAA admits mistake

Michael Holstein michael.holstein at csuohio.edu
Thu Nov 2 14:15:08 GMT 2006

I got a private mea culpa too. Search the archives .. this isn't exactly
an "isolated" incident .. I just think the public chatter about it made
them apologize this time.

Interestingly, there's only two ways they could transpose the IPs since
we have the whole /16 .. and neither of those had any traffic either.

If we assume they messed up the other octets, then it could be
Bloomington University or George Air Force Base -- if they really just
"transposed" them with adjacent numbers.

I mean seriously .. how hard is it to write a script that keeps an IP
address straight? Every one I've written just converts it to decimal
(makes SQL queries faster) and then expands it back out when needed.

Unless, of course, you don't get $a $b $c $d in the right order because
you don't know the alphabet (credit to Paul Gregg and Google for this
snippet, btw)

$decimal = $_;
     $a = $_;

Oh .. wait .. these folks are the same ones that think "Dog" is spelled
with two "g"s. :)

Cheers,

Michael Holstein CISSP GCIA
Cleveland State University