[unisog] DMCA notices - RIAA admits mistake

H. Morrow Long morrow.long at yale.edu
Thu Nov 2 15:01:10 GMT 2006

On Nov 2, 2006, at 9:15 AM, Michael Holstein wrote:
> I mean seriously .. how hard is it to write a script that keeps an IP
> address straight? Every one I've written just converts it to decimal
> (makes SQL queries faster) and then expands it back out when needed.

I've seen cases where some folk's scripts have output IP #s
using leading zeros (to keep them numerically sorted I'd assume)
and then other systems read them in an assumed the octets
were octal -- base 8 -- as the leading zero on a number as an
octal is a Unix/C convention).

Morrow

- H. Morrow Long, CISSP, CISM, CEH
   University Information Security Officer