[unisog] another round of bogus DMCA notices

Buhrmaster, Gary gtb at slac.stanford.edu
Thu Nov 9 14:52:15 GMT 2006

> So we receive a notice suggesting one of our IP address was sharing
> content.  In the notice there's some cryptic statement
> claiming "this ain't all we got!"  Given everything that has
> been discussed here, should the RIAA or MPAA or whomever provide
> more - a portscan, traceroute, some portion of the file, etc.?
> What item(s) could be considered incontrovertible?

This is not the forum to ask that question(*).  The notice is
a legal document.  Since jurisdictions may vary as to their
interpretation (and your responsibilities) of the order, talk
with your (university) lawyers as to what they say your
response must be.  I believe many universities already have
a clear (and usually reasonable) policy as to what your
responsibilities and response should be.  If yours does not,
I recommend you keep asking until you get one.

Gary

(*) There may be many people on the list willing to give
    you their opinion on the DMCA notices, and what you
    should do, or what you should not do.  Unless they
    are your lawyer, those opinions are not going to
    protect your institution, yourself, or the individuals
    who may, or may not, have participated in the
    filesharing activities so identified.