[unisog] another round of bogus DMCA notices

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Thu Nov 9 14:58:42 GMT 2006

On Thu, 09 Nov 2006 09:26:39 EST, Dean.Halter at notes.udayton.edu said:
> So we receive a notice suggesting one of our IP address was sharing
> content.  In the notice there's some cryptic statement claiming "this ain't
> all we got!"  Given everything that has been discussed here, should the
> RIAA or MPAA or whomever provide more - a portscan, traceroute, some
> portion of the file, etc.?  What item(s) could be considered
> incontrovertible?

I'd consider a demonstration that the offending file could actually be
downloaded (with correct MD5 hash) at the time would be incontrovertible (or
close to it, barring TCP connection spoofing...)

Unfortunately, it isn't going to happen, because it leaves the RIAA in a
bad position if it turns out to be something else that *they* didn't have
permission to download.  No_Strings_Attached_Track3.mp3 might not be music
by a famous boy band, as one member of this list can verify. :)