[unisog] another round of bogus DMCA notices

Buhrmaster, Gary gtb at slac.stanford.edu
Thu Nov 9 20:33:53 GMT 2006

> Gary,
>
> I do appreciate that my question sits at the boundary, but
> what can/should
> be considered evidence does "revolve around technical topics in
> educational security operations."  Is an IP address and an accusation
> enough?  It's also a part of the topic that has been gracing
> this board for the past several weeks.  If I am wrong, I assume a
> moderator will jump in and correct me.  Thanks for all responses in advance.

Evidence will be in the eyes of the court, and each jurisdiction
may have different eyes (California is likely to look at some
things differently than Texas, for example).  If you want specific
legal advice, relevant to your specific case(s), in your specific
jurisdictions, talk to your lawyer.  There is not going to be
something like a generic answer for "is an IP address good enough"?
Specifics always matter.  Paraphrasing slightly, "Anyone who uses an
email discussion list as legal opinion has many fools as their lawyer".

Gary