[unisog] Honeypot in Netherlands mirroring entire DNS structures for some .edu's

Bill Owens owens at nysernet.org
Thu Nov 16 21:07:26 GMT 2006

On Thu, Nov 16, 2006 at 01:59:11PM -0600, John C. A. Bambenek wrote:
> All-
>
> We just discovered that there is a machine in the Netherlands that is
> apparently running a honeypot and is mirroring entire DNS structures for
> some .edu domains.

The zone consists of wildcards:

[cookiemonster:~] owens% dig +noall +answer thisisnotarealname.uiuc.eu
thisisnotarealname.uiuc.eu. 86400 IN    A       212.79.243.140
[cookiemonster:~] owens% dig +noall +answer thisisnotarealname.uiuc.eu mx
thisisnotarealname.uiuc.eu. 86400 IN    MX      5 mail.verkeerspark.nl.

I have no idea whether this activity is malicious or not, but it isn't 'mirroring' domains, only registering them under .eu with the wildcards above (and possibly others).

Bill.