[unisog] Cisco switch monitoring without SNMP

John Kristoff jtk at depaul.edu
Mon Oct 16 15:31:26 GMT 2006

On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 11:05:54 -0400
"Micheal Cottingham" <micheal.cottingham at sv.vccs.edu> wrote:

> We are trying to diagnose some network problems, and instead of
> running around to a given switch, I'd prefer a software package to
> monitor switches. I've seen a few, but they require SNMP.
> Unfortunately, for various reasons I can't use SNMP. Suggestions? We
> already run a syslog server, but I'm not sure that it will give me
> what I'm looking for. Things like CRC errors, aside from the usual
> port flapping, the like.

Remote monitoring via SNMP would certainly be the thing to use.  Can
you state some of the reasons why you can't use SNMP?  Perhaps a side
discussion, but I suspect that maybe a useful one for this list,
especially if any of the reasons involve security concerns.

Not knowing the switch, I can only guess at some possible alternatives.
Can you maintain a telnet/ssh session to it?  It might be possible to
use something like an expect script that periodically displays what
you're looking for.  I don't know of a particular package off the top
of my head that'll do that though, you may have to cobble something
together.

syslog doesn't tend to give you statistical update information, but
rather status changes or warnings about running conditions.

Can you run a tcpdump or some other monitoring package on a station
attached to the network or do you need to see what the switch itself
is doing?  Fluke used to make a nice tool back when shared media was
the norm, but they did update their tools (LANMeter) to work with
switches, but basically it used SNMP too).  It's possible, though I
doubt likely that some of those tools will do this via HTTP or something
else.

John