[unisog] Cisco switch monitoring without SNMP

Dale W. Carder dwcarder at doit.wisc.edu
Mon Oct 16 15:42:53 GMT 2006

On Oct 16, 2006, at 10:05 AM, Micheal Cottingham wrote:
> I'd prefer a software package to monitor switches. I've seen a
> few, but they require SNMP. Unfortunately, for various reasons
> I can't use SNMP. Suggestions?

SNMP.  Really.

> what I'm looking for.
> Things like CRC errors, aside from the usual port flapping, the like.

You could use 'clogin' or write other scripts to scrape things like
"sh int" off a switch and stuff the returned values into rrd files.
Then you could periodically peruse the rrd datapoints for threshold
violations.

I sort of feel that you will be spending countless hours reimplementing
the wheel w/o snmp.

Dale