[unisog] Cisco switch monitoring without SNMP

Frank Sweetser fs at WPI.EDU
Mon Oct 16 15:44:54 GMT 2006

On Mon, Oct 16, 2006 at 10:31:26AM -0500, John Kristoff wrote:
> Not knowing the switch, I can only guess at some possible alternatives.
> Can you maintain a telnet/ssh session to it?  It might be possible to
> use something like an expect script that periodically displays what
> you're looking for.  I don't know of a particular package off the top
> of my head that'll do that though, you may have to cobble something
> together.

If you really have to go this route, a good place to start would be the
rancid package.

http://www.shrubbery.net/rancid/

It's aimed at tracking configurations, but already has an expect framework
that should get you started.

WPI Network Engineer          |  is simple, elegant, and wrong. - HL Mencken