[unisog] Cisco switch monitoring without SNMP

Paul FM paulfm at me.umn.edu
Mon Oct 16 17:30:11 GMT 2006

I think, if you want to to this (safely) you will have to convince the higher
ups to allow some SNMP read-only access to the switches (note - cisco
switches can be configured to only allow specified addresses to get access to
the snmp connection, and there are access levels you can assign to it as well).

The only other options are to look at net flows or sys-log logging (which may
not provide the information you are looking for).  I think even RMON works
through SNMP.