[unisog] risks of a mixed network

Craig Kleen ckleen at csulb.edu
Tue Oct 24 15:33:43 GMT 2006

We had a similar problem when we were still using PacketShaper.  Our
ruleset was immensely complex, and while we left a lot of bandwidth
available for the gamers, they continued to complain, and "threatened" to
do the same thing, wanting their own DSL or cable modem.

As it turned out, the root of their complaints was the added latency
produced by the complex PacketShaper rules and the low bandwidth we
provided the "Default" class for when the PacketShaper refused or was
unable to classify something.  We ended up having to change our Policy to
completely block P2P, which we found to be better accomplished by our IPS
system over PacketShaper anyway.  Haven't had a gamer complaint in over 2
years with that policy, and only 2 P2P "complaints" which were more "why
does X program not work" rather than a true complaint.

--
Craig Kleen
Assistant Director, Network Services

Josh Fiske <jfiske at clarkson.edu>
Sent by: unisog-bounces at lists.dshield.org
10/24/2006 05:27 AM
Please respond to
UNIversity Security Operations Group <unisog at lists.dshield.org>

UNIversity Security Operations Group <unisog at lists.dshield.org>
cc

Subject
[unisog] risks of a mixed network

Hi all,

I'm eager to get some input from other network/security folks...to make
sure I haven't missed anything on this one.

At our site, we have residence halls for which we provide network
connectivity.  We have a PacketShaper which does P2P restriction and
bandwidth limiting.  Some students (particularly our gamers) are
interested in purchasing cable-modem service in their dorm room so that
they can play their games at a higher speed.  I'd love to be able to
provide these students with a solution that fits their needs (or wants),
but I need to balance that with any potential risks.

In my mind, the main concern with this scenario is the risk of bridging
our site's network with the cable-modem provider.  Currently we have in
place Cisco switches with DHCP snooping enabled (so that DHCP responses
can only come from trusted ports), so I'm not too worried about a
backwards router providing address to the dorm's VLAN.  Obviously the
cable-modem would provide another entry point to the campus network (if a
machine were dual-homed or if bridging did occur), however at present our
ResNet doesn't have a firewall.  So, while the lack of a firewall is a
concern, the cable-modems would not introduct additional risk when
compared to the current situation.

So, these are the things that I am thinking about.  What else would you
recommend considering?  Have I missed anything blatant?

Thanks for your feedback,

-- Josh
- - - - -
Joshua Fiske, Network and Security Engineer
Clarkson University, Office of Information Technology
(315) 268-6722 -- Fax: (315) 268-6570
jfiske at clarkson.edu

CONFIDENTIALITY:  This e-mail (including any attachments) may contain
disclosure or use is prohibited.  If you received this e-mail in error,