[unisog] Operational vs project time

Gary Flynn flynngn at jmu.edu
Mon Oct 30 20:33:36 GMT 2006

Hi,

We're undergoing some internal analysis and were wondering what
security groups were seeing as the proportion of time spent on
operational work vs project work.

By operational work, I mean recurring things like responding to
calls, access requests, infections, incidents, training and
presentations, daily monitoring and response tasks, tuning,
upgrades, and the like.

By project work, I mean things like providing new internal or
external services and development.

Projects may be internal projects to improve security functions
( e.g. network anomaly detection ), external projects providing
security services to external parties ( e.g. WSUS server ), or
interdepartmental projects where security personnel participate
in the project planning, design, management, and possibly
implementation on an ongoing basis ( e.g. portal, identity
management, new university system rollouts ).

We're currently estimating 60-70% of our time going to
operational tasks and wondered what others were seeing.

--
Gary Flynn
Security Engineer