[unisog] another round of bogus DMCA notices

Dave Dittrich dittrich at u.washington.edu
Tue Oct 31 17:07:20 GMT 2006

Michael Holstein wrote:
> I know this has happened several times in the past, but today I got a
> round of DMCA notices for non-existent IP addresses.
>
> Is anybody saving these and their supporting evidence (that they're bogus)?

What do you mean by "bogus" or "non-existent?"  If the IP addresses
are valid within your netblocks, but are just not active at the time
you look (or you are just doing "ping IP-ADDRESS" to verify, I
would assume some clever miscreant has simply decided to start
doing short-lived IP aliasing, firewalling, or something else
designed to make verification of piracy harder.  You may have
to start logging traffic across your border to verify the claim.

--
Dave Dittrich                          Information Assurance Researcher,
dittrich at u.washington.edu              The iSchool

PGP key      http://staff.washington.edu/dittrich/pgpkey.txt
Fingerprint  FE97 0C57 0843 F3EB 49A1  0CD0 8E0C D0BE C838 CCB5