[unisog] another round of bogus DMCA notices

Jonathan Glass jonathan.glass at oit.gatech.edu
Tue Oct 31 17:23:40 GMT 2006

Dave Dittrich wrote:
> Michael Holstein wrote:
>
>>I know this has happened several times in the past, but today I got a
>>round of DMCA notices for non-existent IP addresses.
>>
>>Is anybody saving these and their supporting evidence (that they're bogus)?
>

> What do you mean by "bogus" or "non-existent?"  If the IP addresses
> are valid within your netblocks, but are just not active at the time
> you look (or you are just doing "ping IP-ADDRESS" to verify, I
> would assume some clever miscreant has simply decided to start
> doing short-lived IP aliasing, firewalling, or something else
> designed to make verification of piracy harder.  You may have
> to start logging traffic across your border to verify the claim.

We had several notices this week with non-assigned addresses which are
completely unroutable on our network.  They're obviously spoofed, and
probably spoofed off-campus due to our anti-spoofing mechanisms.

It presents an interesting problem for those of us processing take down
notices.  If these few are tainted, how many in the past, or near
future, will be tainted by spoofed addresses?

Thanks

Jonathan Glass
Information Security Engineer III
OIT Information Security