[unisog] another round of bogus DMCA notices

Stephen C Woods scw at seas.ucla.edu
Tue Oct 31 17:31:57 GMT 2006

  Well we keep track of all MAC + IP pairs, with a time stamp, and we've
had several reports on IP addresses that have benn inactive for months
before the reported date.   One gets the feeling that people are salting
the e-mule, limewith and other databases with garbage just to screw
these folks up.
<scw>

On Tue, Oct 31, 2006 at 09:07:20AM -0800, Dave Dittrich wrote:
> Michael Holstein wrote:
> > I know this has happened several times in the past, but today I got a
> > round of DMCA notices for non-existent IP addresses.
> >
> > Is anybody saving these and their supporting evidence (that they're bogus)?
>
> What do you mean by "bogus" or "non-existent?"  If the IP addresses
> are valid within your netblocks, but are just not active at the time
> you look (or you are just doing "ping IP-ADDRESS" to verify, I
> would assume some clever miscreant has simply decided to start
> doing short-lived IP aliasing, firewalling, or something else
> designed to make verification of piracy harder.  You may have
> to start logging traffic across your border to verify the claim.
>
> --
> Dave Dittrich                          Information Assurance Researcher,
> dittrich at u.washington.edu              The iSchool
> http://staff.washington.edu/dittrich   University of Washington
>
> PGP key      http://staff.washington.edu/dittrich/pgpkey.txt
> Fingerprint  FE97 0C57 0843 F3EB 49A1  0CD0 8E0C D0BE C838 CCB5

-----
Stephen C. Woods; UCLA SEASnet; 2567 Boelter hall; LA CA 90095; (310)-825-8614
Unless otherwise noted these statements are my own, Not those of the
University of California.                      Internet mail:scw at seas.ucla.edu