[unisog] Border Firewall Session Timeout Settings

Joshua Thomas thomasj4+unisog at oak.cats.ohiou.edu
Tue Oct 31 18:35:51 GMT 2006

Hi,

We're in the process of deploying a firewall at our network border and are
attempting to tune session timeout values, such as TCP handshake timeout,
idle session timeout, and service timeouts, in order to minimize impact to
ongoing operations while protecting against DoS conditions.

We're under an implementation timetable crunch, so we don't have a big
window for analysis of our traffic to determine the right settings.  We're
looking for advice from someone who's been down this path before.  Anyone
have "common practice" timeout settings they're willing to share?  We're
using Juniper - anyone have experience with their defaults?

Thanks,
Josh
Joshua Thomas, CISSP
Interim CISO